Edmonton Children’s Dentist Discusses the Importance of Educating Youth on Healthy Dental Habits
Oral health starts long before your child can walk. From keeping your infant’s gums clean to regular dental visits as your child gets older, there is plenty you can do to ensure they have a healthy smile for life.
Most parents are not sure what their children need in terms of dental care. While they know they want to prevent cavities and keep their children’s smile bright and white, they may not know how to do so.
How to Teach Children Healthy Oral Habits
The best way to keep your child’s smile healthy is by teaching them good hygiene early on. You can do so by:
- Preventing baby bottle carries. Babies can develop cavities as soon as their first teeth appear, especially if they are left to fall asleep with a bottle in their mouth—even with milk.
- Ensuring your child brushes at least twice a day. Every morning and every night before bed, your child should brush their teeth. Have them use a mechanical toothbrush with a rotating head, since they do a better job at cleaning and removing buildup than manual toothbrushes. If your child’s toothbrush does not have a timer, set one so that they brush for at least two minutes.
- Use fluoride toothpastes. Not all children’s toothpastes contain fluoride. Read the label and ensure your child’s does. It can help prevent cavities.
- Consider a sealant. Ask your children’s dentist in Edmonton about a sealant. It is a protective coating that can be applied to chewing surfaces of back teeth to prevent food collection and protect the tooth enamel.
- Teach your child to floss daily. Flossing is the most effective method for removing food and plaque buildup between teeth. Have your child floss at a minimum of once a day, but ideally twice a day.
- Get teeth straightening treatments done in time. How your child’s teeth and jaw are positioned with impact their bite. If teeth are not aligned properly, it is difficult to chew properly and some teeth may get worn faster due to being used more than others. With advanced treatments such as removable Invisalign® braces, your child’s teeth can be straightened easily and without any discomfort.
Visit your children’s dentist in Edmonton regularly. Your children, just like you, should see a dentist for checkups and cleanings at least once a year - preferably twice a year. During these examinations your dentist can ensure your child’s teeth are growing properly, there are no early signs of decay and that you are caring for your child’s teeth at home adequately. If cavities are present, they can cleaned out and fillings done in time to prevent further decay and painful tooth infections.
To keep your child’s smile healthy and start good oral habits early, bring your child in for a checkup at Joly Dental Care in Edmonton, Alberta. We offer children’s dentistry services and a friendly environment that promotes lifetime oral health. Schedule your appointment by calling 780-428-3281 or fill out an online contact form with your questions.