Sensitive Teeth: Causes and Treatment Options Available at Your Family Dentist in Edmonton
Tooth sensitivity is more common than you may think. According to Statistics Canada and reports from Canada’s Oral Health Journal, a growing number of Canadians suffer from tooth sensitivity problems. Lifestyle, food and drink choices, oral habits, smoking and aging are common reasons for tooth enamel being worn out to expose root surfaces and lead to tooth sensitivity. Not being able to enjoy the foods and drinks you love without feeling discomfort or pain is no way to live. The first step to treatment is visiting your family dentist in Edmonton to correctly determine what the underlying problem is.
Why Are You Experiencing Tooth Sensitivity?
Tooth sensitivity occurs when your dentin, a protective covering located beneath your tooth enamel and cementum, is exposed due to receding gum lines. Dentin tubules, microscopic canals in the dentin, carry fluid, which can be affected by hot or cold temperatures. When this occurs, the nerves in your tooth will experience sensitivity and pain.
Any of the following dental issues can wear down your tooth enamel, expose the root and cause sensitivity:
- Brushing your teeth too hard
- Highly acidic foods and beverages that can erode your teeth and enamel
- Tooth decay, worn and leaky fillings, and damaged teeth
- Grinding and clenching your teeth
- Dental procedures such as crowns, fillings and tooth bleaching
How Can Your Family Dental Clinic in Edmonton Treat Tooth Sensitivity?
If you start experiencing tooth sensitivity, pain and discomfort, visit your dentist right away. The sooner your dentist is able to figure out what is causing the problem, the sooner they will be able to treat the affected area with the appropriate solution. This may include:
- Specifically formulated toothpaste that seals the openings to your exposed nerves, helping to prevent the pain associated with sensitive teeth
- In-office and/or at-home fluoride treatments to help strengthen tooth enamel and reduce pain
- A bonding resin which is applied to the exposed root surface
- A surgical gum graft, where a small amount of gum tissue is taken from the inside of your mouth and bonded to the exposed root
- A root canal, which can treat problems in the tooth's dental pulp. This procedure is one of the most effective techniques for eliminating tooth sensitivity.
- Something as simple as adjusting your bite can alleviate tooth pain and sensitivity.
Preventative dentistry, such as regular brushing, flossing and routine dental check-ups can significantly improve your oral health and help you catch tooth sensitivity problems earlier before they become more serious. If you are not seeing a dentist regularly, you may be more susceptible to teeth problems, including tooth decay and gum disease, which can both lead to gum recession and sensitivity issues.
Joly Dental Care provides a comprehensive list of professional dental services to fit the oral health needs of your whole family, including dental cleanings, dental bonding, fluoride rinses, x-rays, and more.
Contact us today at 780-428-3281 to schedule an appointment with your family dentist in Edmonton for a dental checkup and treatment for your tooth sensitivity. You can also fill out an online contact form with your questions and we will get back to you soon.