Supporting Your Oral Health with Vitamins & Minerals
Taking a holistic approach to your health is good for your entire body. Paying attention to your diet will ensure that your oral health and complete system get the nutrients your body needs to stay strong, bright and healthy from the inside out. At Joly Dental Care, we can help you care for your teeth year-round, from regular teeth cleaning and dental checkups, to advice on lifestyle changes, we are dedicated to keeping you healthy! Schedule your appointment at our dental clinic in downtown Edmonton for a checkup.
Vitamins and Minerals that Support Oral Health
Are there certain areas where your diet is lacking? If you find yourself suffering from frequent cavities, but maintain a regular oral hygiene routine, it may be time to try getting more minerals in your diet. Here are some of the best vitamins and minerals to support your oral health:
- Vitamin A – Most people know that this powerful vitamin promotes good eyesight, a strong immune system and clear skin. What many do not know is that Vitamin A will also promote salivary flow in the mouth, good gum health and healing. Add fish, egg yolks and organ meats to your diet for a strong dose. Orange foods like carrots, mangoes and sweet potatoes are also good sources, as well as dark leafy greens such as kale and spinach.
- B Vitamins – These vitamins can limit inflammation in the mouth and tongue, help stave off canker sores, and reduce overall stress. Poultry, meat, beans, legumes and green veggies are good sources.
- Vitamin C – Vitamin C reduces gum inflammation, builds and repairs connective tissue in the body, and can stop you from developing scurvy. It is a strong antioxidant and can keep your immune system strong. Add a side dish of broccoli to your next meal, have a kale salad, or snack on some orange slices to keep this vitamin well-balanced in your diet.
- Vitamin D – Mr. Sunshine can provide some vitamin D, which regulates calcium and phosphorus in your blood. It helps your body absorb calcium, which is crucial to having strong bones and teeth. Supplements may be necessary if you live in a cloudy environment or don’t get much time outside during Edmonton’s harsh winters.
- Calcium – That vitamin D can’t help you absorb calcium if there isn’t any there to absorb. Keep your teeth strong and structured by getting enough of this important mineral. Sources other than dairy include sardines, cauliflower, cabbage and almonds.
Joly Dental Care is here to support the oral health of you and your entire family. We welcome patients of all ages and are happy to answer your questions about oral health, hygiene and lifestyle choices that can make your teeth and gums stronger. Contact our friendly staff for regular dental services and comprehensive care.