Your Edmonton Dentist Dishes on Dental Care and Bad Breath
Bad breath happens to everyone from time to time, but persistent bad breath can be a major source of embarrassment. Keep reading for some tips on how to banish bad breath by practising good dental care.
What Causes Bad Breath?
Also known as halitosis, most cases of bad breath are caused from an oral source, like the buildup of bacteria inside the mouth. Bacteria cause bad odours as they decay and can lead to more serious problems if left unchecked. Some of the other causes of bad breath originating in the mouth are:
- Gum disease
- Cracked fillings
- Dirty dentures
- Dry mouth
- Poorly fitting dental appliances
- Yeast infections
Health Problems That Could Heat Up Your Halitosis
Sometimes bad breath is more than just bad breath. An unpleasant odour in the mouth can point to other health issues like:
- Respiratory tract infections
- Sinus infections
- Acid reflux
- Liver or kidney problems
If your halitosis just won’t go away, talk to your doctor. They can rule out any medical causes that may be behind the problem.
Banish Bad Breath for Good
Barring all other major health concerns, there are a few steps that you can take to eliminate bad breath once and for all. Freshen your breath with the following good dental care practices:
- Brush and floss daily. Brush twice. Floss once. Don’t overdo it; too much brushing can wear down your enamel.
- Use a good mouthwash after you brush or floss. You can also rinse with mouthwash after you eat to get rid of food particles stuck in your teeth.
- Brush your tongue. Gently brushing your tongue can help remove the bacteria that lead to bad breath.
- Avoid the big offenders, like odour-causing onions, garlic and sugar.
- Stop smoking. Cigarettes can cause bad breath and increase your risk of mouth cancer.
- Chew sugarless gum. Chewing stimulates saliva production, which is the mouth’s natural cleanser.
- Drink plenty of water. Water helps rinse food debris from your teeth and gums and also encourages saliva production.
- Have your teeth cleaned by one of the professionals at Joly Dental Care.
For more tips on keeping your breath fresh and your mouth healthy, visit Joly Dental Care today. We’ve been providing top-notch dental care to families all over Edmonton for more than 35 years. Let us help you make your smile as bright as it can be. Contact us today to make an appointment!