Chew On This: Why Natural Chewing Gum Is a Better Choice
Many people are surprised to learn that chewing gum can be good for your teeth. Chewing on a stick of gum can promote the development of saliva, which keeps food particles away from your teeth and limits tooth decay. Unfortunately, a lot of popular gum brands fill these products with cheap, synthetic alternatives and refined, artificial sweeteners that aren’t good for your overall health, let alone your teeth. Choose your gum brands carefully to enjoy refreshed breath, better oral health and keep other toxins out of your body. Visit your family dentist in Edmonton for more diet and lifestyle tips to keep your teeth and gums in great condition. Joly Dental Care can answer your questions and offer advice for you and your family.
Choosing Healthier Chewing Gum
Those sweet, tasty and brightly packaged chewing gum packs by the checkout aisles seem harmless. They are sold everywhere and have been around for years. Reading the list of ingredients tells a different story, though. Here are some of the not-so-friendly ingredients in most of these popular chewing gums:
- Aspartame – Aspartame is metabolized by your body into formaldehyde, a carcinogen that is not filtered through the liver and kidneys. It also turns into wood alcohol, a poison.
- BHT – This preservative has been linked to toxicity in organ systems, kidney and liver damage and hyperactivity in children. It elongates the shelf-life of gums and other processed foods despite being banned in many other countries.
- Gum Base – It is hard to even determine what the gum base is made from. Studies have shown it is usually a combination of elastomers, resins, plasticizers and fillers if it isn’t made from petroleum-derived paraffin wax, polyvinyl acetate (also known as carpenter’s glue) and talc. Many of these ingredients have been linked to cancer and most people wouldn’t want to have much contact with them, let alone chew on them for an extended period of time.
Gum can still be great to chew on and refresh your breath. Responsible companies are catching on and offering more health-conscious and natural alternatives. Here are some brands you can feel good about chewing on:
- Simply Gum – Clean ingredients and natural flavours, just like the name states: it’s simple!
- Glee Gum – No genetically-modified ingredients, no synthetic plastics in the gum base, and Fair Trade cane sugar and brown rice syrup make this a pack of gum you can feel good about buying.
- Pur Gum – This brand is a good option for allergy sufferers as it does not contain any nuts, dairy, soy or gluten. It may not be as natural as the options listed above, but it does not contain aspartame.
Joly Dental Care is here to guide you towards products, habits and tools that can improve your lifestyle, oral health and support your overall well-being. Ask us any questions you have about improving your oral hygiene. We are currently accepting new patients and would be happy to offer dental services for your entire family. If you are looking for a comprehensive, professional and friendly dental clinic in downtown Edmonton, contact Joly Dental Care today.